That was a tweet I sent out Saturday, the second day of Cropped Out Fest. Perfect weather, a constant torrent of music across three stages, and the sale of $3 vodka slushies. Here’s me with a Green Apple. Shoo wee, they were delicious and turned out pretty physiologically brutal. As such, it’s a miracle that: a) I’m alive, b) I was able to take decent photos, and c) I have some recollection of the festival. A professional member of the media, me. But as such, my ability to remember minutia and vivid details was greatly compromised, so I present the festival recap to you, dear reader, in a series of poignant bullet points.
• Michael Zerang looks like a Hells Angels biker, not a free jazz dude. His hair and mustache are badass.
• @LouMUSICulture‘s Sean Bailey suggested that Turners Park is furtile breeding ground for chupacabras.
• David Liebe Hart sold photos of himself at the merch table. Later that night, he would perform a song about rejecting porn and invite a younger woman on stage to sing with him while a dude dressed as a princess aligned his chakras in the front row. It was excellent.
• I sadly did not get any photos of R Stevie Moore’s pants, but ‘majestic’ would be a fair descriptor.
• Of the many Neil Hamburger shows I’ve seen, this was the best. The crowd was particularly spirited (via the slushies I thnk), and he insulted every member of the media. It was great. Fuck the media.
• Choice Obama Based God quotes include “I got Garth Brooks swag” (and considering the river boats floating by in the background that kinda made total sense), and “When I say the ‘b’ word, that applies to everyone. I’m a bitch, you’re a bitch, we’re all bitches.” #based. Additionally, I was surprised at how tight of a hip-hop show Lil B puts on. How traditional his show came off was probably the most surprising aspect. I expected the Based God to be a little more unhinged, I suppose.
• Guerilla Toss won the “most punk” and “most dong” award of the festival (the bassist was bucket ass naked). They were fucking great. Do go see them should they pass through your community.
• The Butchertown warehouse was a great location for 2011′s festival, but Cropped Out ultimately seems at home within the otherworldly confines of American Turners. This year was the best one yet, by all accounts, this festival, Cropped Out, that shouldn’t exist by any conventional wisdom, is here to stay.
Lots of photos after the jump…
R. STEVIE MOORE
LIL B THE BASED GOD
AMERICA’S FUNNYMAN NEIL HAMBURGER
DAVID LIEBE HART
SCENES FROM THE SPOOKY BEACH
DAVID LIEBE HART SELLING PHOTOS OF HIMSELF
THE YACHT THAT LIL B SHOULD’VE COME IN ON
MICHAEL ZERANG / DARIN GRAY DUO